Monday, November 11, 2013

The playlist I promised......

Here's the thing........I've been putting this off for a while now, for many reasons. 1) I wrote this book 7 years ago, so this list is extensive! 2) my writing process meshed with musical content has many forms. Music to write too-the creative process if you will, and then music to edit too. 3) Some of the songs are the character's songs, and I can't give too much away at this point.

So, the creative process playlist. These were the songs I listened too while the story formed in my mind, and while I wrote in pencil on a bus. Please be forgiving that it was 7 years ago.

One- Johnny Cash. I listened to this a lot at the end of the book, when things get a bit emotional.
Lucero- That much further west(demo) this version is instrumental and a bit grainy.
Jimmy Eat World - Futures
Jimmy Eat World - Your House
Jimmy Eat World - If you don't, don't
Jimmy Eat World - The middle
Angels & Airwaves - Everything's magic. (this song belongs to a character. When you read it I think it will be blindingly obvious who this belongs too.)
The Movielife - This time next year
Box Car Racer - There is
Fall Out Boy - Take over, the breaks over
Fall Out Boy - The Patron Saint of Liars and Fakes
Paramore - Misery Business
MSTRKRFT- Heartbreaker
Band of Skulls- friends
Motion City Soundtrack - It would be easier to tell you the songs I didn't write too! Some are a bit too emotional for me so LGFUAD was not one I wrote too, along with hold me down.

These are what I can remember, and yes I still listen to some. Mostly Motion and F.O.B- their first two albums I enjoyed but subsequent not so much.

OK. Now when it comes to typing up from drafts and editing, I need music that will keep me ticking over, but not interfere with my concentration. Which is why I favour the instrumentals.

The Middle East-Blood
White Hinterland - Icarus
Mogwai - too much to type!
Some songs my husbands BMX dvds have ingrained into my brain..one day I'll write them up...maybe! Just watch the Etnies promo's online!
M83 - Midnight City
F.O.B- Young Volcanoes
You and Me at Six - I don't own any but put the catalogue on via spotify, one of our characters is a big fan.

A friend once said that I am a sucker for twinkly guitars, heavy drums and a dude with a nice tone. All of those things can be found in J.E.W, F.O.B and M.C.S.

Some sample tracks from those darn BMX vids! The second video, music isn't so cool, but the idea is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb_mkSucE8E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sDunDRGd48

No comments:

Post a Comment