Saturday, May 4, 2013

To F**k or not to F**k.

I have a conundrum....and I genuinely need help!

In the book, sometimes, it "felt right" for some of our characters to drop the f-bomb. I know they are 15/16, and I recall being much younger and saying f**k, s***t, and all the other lovely profanities that accompany that part of the English language. But, I'm a little bit like, Do I take them out and replace them with "Frikin'", in my opinion, it's too American, this book is set in England. I want to avoid the English/American merge, cross over that happens.

I think this wouldn't be a problem, if I wasn't a Mum, I know my kids will swear when I'm not around, I reckon they do it now sometimes, and have a good snigger after. But, I keep thinking, is it right? I'm of the mind-set at the moment, that as long as it's in character, and context, and not overly used, (although I am awful for cursing during everyday conversation as though it is just another normal word, or use it as a filler until the right word pops into my head to carry the conversation forward, I know I'm such a lady!) it will be ok.

Thoughts please!!!

P.s I promise the first page, as soon as I have retyped the chapters. It won't be long I swear...boom boom!

5 comments:

  1. Fecking?! Would that work?! It always annoys me when I read a book or with something where you know they have changed the wording due to political correctness.....but I also get that parents prefer their children not to be around swearing! Could you invent a whole new curse word?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend just posted to my Facebook a link about Stephen Fry on swearing, it wont let me put it on here, but look it up, its good and just!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Frikin' is stupid and annoying. If you're going to swear, do it properly. Amen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Roberto. Kids swear all the time especially around that age

    ReplyDelete